Staff Request Leave
Depending on your business policies, you may have elected to allow staff to enter their own Leave requests. They can do this through the Employee App or My Tanda. You can send staff this article on Leave if they need help.
If staff request Leave themselves, the following notifications will come through to let you know:
On the Dashboard, under your Task List you will see a Leave request to be approved. Click on the link to go to the request to action:
You can also check requests by going to Time Off > Requests:
Once a day Tanda sends a time off digest email. This email will detail any new or updated leave requests or unavailability entries.
You can choose who should receive these email notifications in your settings. Settings > General Settings > Time Off tab > Notifications
Entering Leave requests
Managers and Admins can also enter Leave directly into Tanda, either for themselves or on behalf of staff.
Employees can also request leave themselves using the Tanda App. This can be enabled or disabled in your organisation settings.
Leave can be accessed on the Timesheet by clicking on the plane icon at the end of shift rows. Check out the Timesheets: Leave article for more information.
Go to Time Off > Requests to control all Time Off requests in Tanda. To enter a Leave request here, click on the green + New Time Off Request button in the top right corner and choose the correct time off type:
- Select from the drop-down box the relevant Employee.
- Select the start and end date. If you weekend should not be included in their Leave and you're entering say 2 weeks, it's best to enter two leave requests; one for one week and another for the second week.
- The Hours will automatically populate based on the default leave request length found in your General Settings. By default this will populate as 7.6 hours but can be changed in the Settings or manually in the Leave request by entering another figure. This might be done if you're entering a half day Leave. If it will be for the whole day, tick the box for 'All day'
- Select the Type of Leave. If you can't see a Leave type for the relevant employee, check the heading at the bottom under Common Issues.
- Next, you can optionally enter a Team for the Leave, add a Document and a Reason.
- When you're finished, just click the green Submit Leave Request button and the Leave will automatically be approved and appear in the Approved tab.
Pending Leave Tab
Leave requests entered by an employee will come through to the Pending tab. You can either Approve or Decline the leave by pressing the relevant button in the bottom right corner. Alternatively, if it was entered by accident you can delete it by pressing Delete Request in the top right corner.
Before approving, you can still edit the Leave request by clicking in the relevant fields to update if needed.
Once done, you can see the request in the Approved or Declined tabs. If the request was deleted, it will no longer show in the account:
Once Leave is approved, it moves to this tab:
Even though it is approved, you still have the following functionality:
- Edit the leave by Admins & Managers until it is exported to your Payroll software. It will show in grey to show it is locked at which time you'll have to unlock the Timesheet to make a change or make the changes straight to your Payroll system.
- To edit, simply click in the relevant section and enter the adjustments
- Attach a document if the employee didn't originally attach one to the request.
- You can still Decline/Delete by clicking the relevant button just above the request, at the right far end.
- You can also click the drop-down arrow to the right of the employee's name to View History of the leave request, send the employee an Email about the request or View the Timesheet where this Leave shows:
If you press Decline either in Pending or Approved Leave tabs, you will be prompted to include a reason to include in the email notification to the employee.
You can also opt not to send an email to the employee (this can be useful if the leave was entered by a Manager incorrectly and the employee doesn't need to be notified).
Click the red Decline leave request button to action. You can also click Cancel at the bottom if this was in error.
Once you've actioned the request, it will show under the Declined tab. Once the Leave is declined, you won't be able to edit or bring it back.
If there are any changes that allows you to approve the leave, you need to enter the details again in another request.
In the main Leave screen, you can click on Tools in the top right corner for some further functionality:
- Old Unavailability: This will give you the old unavailability calendar wherein its exclusively for unavailability only
- Subscribe to Leave Calendar: gives you a URL link to copy and paste in your Email system
- Export Leave to .CSV: exports what is currently on screen, so if you're in the Approved tab and have Leave from the past year and click Export, this information will export into CSV where you can open in Excel
- View Leave types: this is a shortcut to Payroll > Leave Types where your Leave setup is configured.
- Leave Balances: Allows you to download the leave balances or import it here in Tanda through an excel format.
Leave on Timesheets
Once you've added and approved Leave, it will then show as approved on Timesheets ready to be exported to your Payroll system. You can check how Leave shows on Timesheets by looking at the following article and that you have set it up correctly by checking out the Payroll Configuration: Leave article.
If you can't select an employee name's or type of Leave for an employee, check the following:
- Check in Payroll > Leave Types > for the Applies to for the Leave types you have setup:
Under Applies to, check which classification of staff are eligible for the Leave. If you're missing one, click on the Name of the Leave to edit under Applies to, select the missing classification, i.e Full Time, Part Time, Salaried. Then go back into the Leave request and you should be able to select the employee.
- You can also check the employee's profile by going to Workforce > Staff > click on the employee's name > Payroll tab and check their classification. If they're not classified as a type that matches with the Leave, change this on their profile and save.